Join the celebrations as Mosman Art Gallery opens its new spaces to the public.
Join us for a coffee, arts workshop and/or creative shopping experience while experiencing a range of incredible artworks such as the historic works of the Balnaves Gift and the highly acclaimed recent works of Ken Done and Simon Gilby.
Open Day Highlights
8.00am (until 3pm): Mosman Village Art and Craft Market – A quality art and craft market located in the heart of one of Sydney’s finest shopping precincts! 150 art and craft stalls, with gourmet food, musical entertainment, and a lively atmosphere.
10.00am (until 5.00pm): Gallery exhibitions open to public.
- The Balnaves Gift. Million dollar donation by local resident, Neil Balnaves AO of artworks depicting historical Mosman.
- Attack: Japanese Midget Submarines in Sydney Harbour. Ken Done’s latest and most critically important works. Commissioned by Mosman Art Gallery to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Sydney Harbour.
- Simon Gilby: The Syndicate. This installation from Western Australian artist Simon Gilby, comprises ten life-sized sculptures, each based around the human form.
- Extensions of a No-Place. Peter Nelson’s ongoing project is an installation of Plexiglas sculptures, ceramics and film projections.
- In Profile: Judy Lane. Sculptural portraits which explore the many layers and complexities of form, personality and the human condition.
10.30am (until 4.00pm): Arts Table. Arts activities aimed at children and young people, where visitors are able to put their artistic skills to use making a range of creative badges to wear home. Children who participate will also receive a small gift.
11.00am: World drumming workshops led by Philippe Lincy (for all ages – no bookings required)
12.00pm: Artist talk by Judy Lane
1.00pm: Artist talk by Peter Nelson
2.00pm: World drumming workshops led by Philippe Lincy (for all ages – no bookings required)
2.00pm – 3.00pm: Gallery Guides available to provide insight into the exhibitions
3.00pm: Guided tour of the Balnaves Gift. Led by Gallery curator, Katrina Cashman.
- Coffee cart 10 – 5pm
- Cup Cakes
- Art tables for kids
- Give away – kids pencils
- Give away – I love my gallery badges
- Give away – stickers
- Balnaves Gift Exhibition Guide
- Bali flags on terrace
- Kid’s facepainting